CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It Made Me Smile

Today I had a pt who was just a bit of a character who was "letting it all hang out" while still under the residual effects of the anesthesia he'd been given. To say taking care of him was a unique experience would be a gross understatement! He embarrassed his poor daughter nearly to death, and she kept apologizing for him saying, "He really isn't like that! It happens every time he gets anesthesia! I'm so sorry!" I told her it was not a problem, and that he had actually made the day kind of fun, and he probably wouldn't remember much of it when he fully recovered from the meds they'd given him. He was with us for about 2 hours after surgery. I discharged him and sent him home in his daughter's care. About an hour later, flowers were delivered to the unit, saying thank you for the great care. I don't know if his daughter told him what he'd done and said he needed to apologize, or if he remembered more than I thought he might and was embarrassed. We all got to enjoy the beautiful arrangement, and then the girls said to bring them home because he had been my pt. I have enjoyed just the memory of the silliness, and the thoughtfulness of the gift, regardless of the reason behind it. That's the first time I've ever had a pt give me flowers.

2 comments:

Dewey Hafta Academy said...

That's a really cute story, and how neat that he sent flowers! Enjoy them!

ree said...

It does kinda freak me out a little not knowing how drugs will affect me coming out of surgery! I'm always afraid I'll embarass myself or my family! =)