CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Banker's Hours (?)

I have spent the last 3 days working 1-9pm, or more aptly named, 1-close. Day Surgery officially closes it's doors at 9pm, but often there are still patients remaining at that time. So on Monday night, I didn't clock out until 11:50 and Tuesday night it was 10:55. I am scheduled to work at 8:30am on Thursday and Friday, and have been praying all day that tonight would not be another late night. So, our last patient went to surgery at 6:35 (really late), but was scheduled for a pacemaker insertion and was to be admitted to the medical floor afterward. When we found that out, we packed our bags as fast as we could, locked the doors and ran! Our only other patient had been gone about an hour. We didn't hang around long enough to let anyone call and say, "oh, by the way...". So, the Lord heard my plea and is allowing me to have a full night's sleep. He is so good! This is not a shift I would want on a full-time basis. I never have cared much for evening shift because you have to miss so much of what goes on in the family and community. I really like my 9:30-6 or 10:30-7 shifts. I can still attend church, etc. even if I have to be a few minutes late. Someone said it sounds like banker's hours. Don't know about that, but I do like the not-so-early morning and the not-so-late night. Lets me have time to spend with the Lord in the morning, and a couple of hours in the evening to unwind. The nurse who normally works the 1-9 shift is out right now recovering from knee surgery. I'll be glad when she gets back, but not just because we will be back to full staff; she's also my friend.

1 comments:

kablot spot said...

I have always hated the evening shift. It kind of isolates you from everything. My job goes back and forth all the time. Although recently, I got a new manager that has to work evenings, so I am enjoying more evenings off. Hope for all reasons that your coworker comes back soon...