CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, July 21, 2008

An Unexpected Day Off

This week I am scheduled to work 8-4 all week. I got up this morning at my usual 5:30, and didn't slap at the snooze button. Only had 2 hours to be out the door. Now, I know you're probably thinking, "only 2 hours?!" However, when one is used to having at least 3, and sometimes 4 hours before going out the door to work, 2 hours ain't much! I realized at 7:00 that I hadn't fed birds yet, and I was supposed to leave by 7:30. That meant, feed, shower, dress, leave in the space of 30 minutes. I actually nearly succeeded, leaving at 7:35. When I started the car, the "low fuel" light came on. Oh yeah, I was gonna leave early enough to get gas! Oops! So I stopped at the local Allsups. And waited. And waited. No one bothered to turn on the pump, so I got back in the car and headed for Angelo, praying that I had enough gas to get there. I pulled into the parking lot at 7:59 on my watch, and actually clocked in at 8:01. Not bad considering the late start I got. I walked up to the nurse's station, and Ellen said, "Are you supposed to be here this early? I thought you were 9:30 this week. We were going to ask if you just wanted the day off." Stress level from 10 to 2 in 2 seconds flat. I didn't wait around long enough for someone to change their mind and decide to keep me.

I went at a leisurely pace to get gas, did a tiny bit of shopping, and stopped at the local park close to the house and just sat at a picnic table under the trees, absorbing the peace and quiet, and enjoying the breeze. Stress level on leaving about an hour later: zero. My, I like days like this!

0 comments: