CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hooray for AC!

FINALLY...after 3 weeks, I have AC! The crew arrived at my house sometime yesterday afternoon and began setting up the system. I got home at about 4PM and they were filling the new unit with freon. I talked with them a bit and let them continue with their work. When I looked out the back door a while later, the guys were gone, and I still had no cool air. I had overheard one of them say "well, we can't finish until we have the plenum, and they didn't bring one." Now, my dad was a heating/plumbing man for my early growing-up years, and I know what a plenum is. I needed a new one? Doubt it. About 15 minutes later, I heard voices out the back door again, but had not heard the truck return. When I looked, it was two different guys working on the outside unit. When I asked where the first two men went, they said they went to another job, and the two new ones were here to turn the system on and make sure it was working properly. They had it running by about 5:10, told me to close up the house and left. It ran...and ran...and ran...for 2 hours, to get the house from 87 degrees (actually cooler than it had been for most of the 3 weeks) down to 79 degrees. It finally shut off at 7:14.

It wasn't just having the cooler house that was so great. I was able to put the curtain back down in the bedroom, thus blocking the light from the full moon, and allowing me to sleep more soundly than I have since all this started. So when the alarm went off at 5:30 this morning, I did a rare thing. I turned it off and went back to sleep. I got up at 7:30, and have't had such a feeling of being rested since the end of July.

PM, they took the old unit with them without charge. They already had it on the truck when I got home.

2 comments:

Dewey Hafta Academy said...

Glad you're up and running again. I'll bet that was a long, miserable three weeks!

Will you want some help getting the window unit out?

chronicler said...

Yes, Ma'am; please? I thought I would catch PM tomorrow afternoon between services.