CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 28, 2008

I Really Like Texas










Well, it's been...and gone...and all in all it was a nice day and holiday. I spent the day just holed up here at home. No guests, no noise, no leaving the house. I listened to the radio for a little while, but mostly, it was just sit in my chair, or sit at the computer. If that sounds boring, or lonely, it's not. I tend to guard my peace and quiet. I did make several phone calls, wishing various family members and friends a joyous day.

Friday, I baked a second set of pumpkin pies and made a third round of apple salad (my contributions to various dinners I attended in the last week) and yesterday it was off to Commanche where my daughter-in-law's family was gathering for dinner. For me, it was literally "over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house" as we were at T's grandparents. There were over 30 people crammed in that little two-bedroom house, and it was fun to meet the extended family. Of the 30+, I knew about 7 people. But you know what I really like about Texas? No strangers here, unless you want to be. That family and extended family opened their arms to me without so much as a second glance. They did the same thing for the father of one of the other brothers-in-law. We cooked, we fixed, we ate, we visited just like we all knew everyone else.

T's immediate family is recovering from a cold, and A has just caught it. So they didn't stay a long time, and I didn't either. We ate around 1pm and I was back on the road to SA by about 3:30, but it was worth it to be with them. A was asked why he just didn't stay home if he wasn't feeling well, and he said, "Because my mom is here." Made my day. T is by now very pregnant, and I had to have at least a couple of pictures of her. She is such a lovely person, and I am glad to call her my daughter.

Speaking of travel, the wind was fierce yesterday, and since I had my camera with me, I tried to capture some of the look of the afternoon. I have added a few pictures of the day. The one of the sun behind the dried-up tree doesn't really do justice to the actual view, but since I was trying to drive and click, you understand, don't you?

0 comments: