CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

On the Way to Being Birdless

Today I shipped out 8 of the birds remaining in my lofts. I went out last night when I got home (after dark) and caught 7 of them. I couldn't find #8, so went hunting again this morning (before daylight) and found him perched near the bottom of the nest rack. I think I picked him up last night, but was unable to read his band numbers accurately, so set him back down. So I caught him, and put him in the box with his cohorts and taped it up and put it in the car. It wouldn't fit in the trunk, so I had to put them in the back seat. And I rode all the way to town with the windows down. I have difficulty when I have to inhale the dander they produce, so always wear a mask in the lofts. But I thought people might think it a bit strange to see someone driving down the road with a mask on, so I left it home.

I have been saying I want to be birdless by the end of the year, and thought that I would be excited to see the first of them go, but such has not been the case. I cried last night when I caught the 7. I cried again this morning as I caught the last one, and then boxed them up. I cried when I left the post office after mailing them off. I fought tears for most of the day. The main reason was because my "buddy", a pigeon that has been a pet was in that box. L offered to let me keep him, but what does one poor bird do when it's used to being with a flock? I couldn't do that to him. The other reason is because the birds are basically the last link between L and me. It has been a tough day.

3 comments:

ree said...

Bless your heart!
Praying tomorrow will be easier for you.

kablot spot said...

As someone who has been an onlooker to your faith and hope in your God, I want to tell you that I have admired your walk and your dignity. I know a limited amount about the road you have walked the last few years. I have watched as you neither publicly licked your wounds nor hid them behind a flowery drape made of threads of shame and falsehood. I think you are a true champion warrior who has a soul that honors God. I think what I want to say to you is something that God placed on my heart. God's accounting is not like ours. Sometimes when we see that we have lost a battle, God sees the opposite. He can do that because he can see the true beginning all the way to the final end. I believe He would tell me to remind you that He has made you more than an overcomer and more than a conqueror and that our side ultimately wins.

As little feet that are proud to walk behind you as you follow God, may you be blessed as you continue on the road.

Love you.

chronicler said...

Kablot, thank you for those words. It means a lot. In the words of a song you probably know: "Life is hard, but God is GOOD!